Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Meditation - Scientific benefits

From the time of our birth till death the heart works continuosly.Everyday the heart pumps 7000 litres of blood ... of which 70% blood is pumped to the brain and the remaining 30% to the rest of body.The blood is pumped through veins/arteries which are about more than 70,000 km long.
>
> The strength required to pump the blood upto 42 ft high and weight of 1 tonne is generated by the heart everyday throught its work.
>
> We take rest when we are tired but if the heart takes rests for 4-5 mins we will have to rest forever.
>
> How does the heart work continuously and efficiently?
>
> Heart works effectively because it follows a discipline. In normal conditions the heart takes 0.3 secs to contract (systole) and 0.5 secs to relax (diastole). So 0.3+0.5=0.8 secs are required by the heart to complete one beat (1 cardiac cycle). That means in 1 min, the heart beats 72 times which is considered as normal heart beat.
>
> During the relaxing phase of 0.5 secs the impure blood travels through the liver and becomes 100% pure.
>
> In some stressful conditions the body demands more blood in less time and in this situation the heart reduces the relaxing period of 0.5 secs to 0.4 secs.Thus in this case the heart beats 82 times in 1min and only 80% of blood gets purified.
>
> On more demand the relaxing time is further reduced to 0.3 secs then only 60% of blood is purified.
>
> Thus 20-40% of impure blood is pumped in the blood vessels. The impure components (cholestrol/lipid) gets deposited on the walls of arteries/ veins and thus the elastic nature of the veins and the arteries is impacted negatively.
>
> Continuation of the above conditions makes the veins/arteries rigid. Now if a blood clot travels through restricted veins/ arteries (which in normal conditions flows easily due to the elastic nature mentioned earlier) there is always a chance that it gets blocked and resists blood flow in that area. This results in a blockage which might further result in a Heart Attack.
>
> From the above discussion we realise that the main reason for the heart problems is the increase demand of blood by the brain and the body. When the activity of brain is stimulated it demands more amount of blood than that of normal conditions.
>
> To stimulate the activity of brain, 25-30% impact comes from the diet. Whereas the remaining 70-75% is due to the thinking, emotions, attitude, memories and other processes of the brain. These factors that hold so much sway over the brain are more or less ignored due to our current lifestyle.
>
> So keeping the brain healthy also helps us keep the heart healthy. This why we consciously need to protect ourselves from - worries, anger, sadness, emotional n sensitive behavior, stress and hurry .
>
> MEDICATION is hardly the chosen alternative for this purpose. And this is where MEDITATION helps.
>
> Meditation has been a part of our spiritual tradition for a long time. Commercialization of meditation as an instructional discipline has been rampant since the 50s. Piggy backing this phenomenon spirituality has been commercialized too. And this has done our society more harm than good.
>
> << Meditation unlike popular belief can start from simple practices like focused hearing or even focused thinking.>>
>
> Maybe we can share how people who do yoga practice focus? By sharing this we can all benefit. We can identify alternates and choose to experiment with something that might turn out to be better for our unique selves.

No comments: